There is something about glass furniture that brings a pleasant feeling to most people, making it as one of the most favorite materials by many. Perhaps the aesthetic value of the material – being shiny and bright – which tickles the visual faculties is one of the factors for such sensation.
The wide range of uses of glass extends from being an instrument in interior design to emergency glass repair. Therefore, it is because of its practical characteristics that define the distinctive qualities of the glass. Below, we will discuss how glass is used in interior design.
As a Decorative Design
The clear and glossy look of the glass made the material basic yet visually dimensional. A room decorated with glass allows the eye to glide and move smoothly around the spaces. Glass alone is already a decoration and an art statement. However, when it is being paired with other material it creates magic within a room.
- Room filled with glass furniture and leather texture can accomplish a more masculine space.
- To create a more feminine space, combined it with cut glass vases and curvy sculptures all over the room.
- The combination of chandelier and paintings on a dark painted rooms with other glass furniture creates an elegant and periodic effect to the space.
Complements the Architecture
A beautifully-structured house can be enhanced further by adding some glass materials to its apparent vicinities in forms of furniture, display, or fixture.
Modern buildings with smart designs often integrate glass due to its functional and complementary features. For example, thick and tinted or textured glass can be used as a room divider in order to separate the functions of the space, i.e. kitchen and dining room, yet the visual accessibility and light delivery will never be limited to either of the spaces created.
In emergency cases, spaces with glass structures can provide greater safety than walled spaces without visual access to other areas.
Distribution of Light
Interior designs are keen on the use of light since good lighting can enhance a space in a great deal. The transparent or translucent property of the material is an ideal use for the purpose of light distribution.
Transparent glass has the higher value of light delivery and is perfect for the spaces that require strong lighting either from the natural light or from the industrial lamps since it does not filter or change the light intensity being provided.
On the other hand, translucent glass can add dramatic touch or artistic effect since it faintly filters and turns the light into a glow, which is perfect for areas that require minimal lighting such as bedrooms and areas designed for relaxation.
Space and Practical Uses
- Glass works both for large and small spaces. The transparent property of glass, even those textured or patterned ones, enable the eye to wander the space beyond the placement of the material. For example, even if the room is small yet the furniture, fixture or the divider is made out of glass, it provides a wide range of space for eyes to wander that creates a visual illusion of a wider room.
Humans have unexplainable fixation on glasses. In fact, in every concrete establishment, glass attachments, in forms of windows, doors, or decorations, serve as the focal point for most people. It’s the first thing that a person will fix its eyes on.
As an advantage, a room with glass panel for its wall has the higher chance to alert people of emergency cases such as fire outbreak or criminal incidents since the activity inside the vicinity can be visually accessed in an instant as compared to a room with concrete walls with zero visibility inside.
- Using glass for windows and doors can also help a household to save up on their electricity since they can access natural light outdoor during daytime. The glass effect such as shine and shimmer when the material interact with the sun can also bring visual enhancements that cannot be performed by industrial lights.
For those with clean and functional basements, using toughened glass for floors can be also both artistic and practical at the same time since the it can display the design of the basement and the collective light from the house can light up the space without the use of electricity.
- Repair for damage areas of the house such as faulty surface of the wall or columns can be easily solved by using spandrel glass.
Using glass for furniture and fixture is easy to maintain: it only needs a good glass cleanser and it will be good as new. The only adversary of glass is its tendency to break but it is still depending on the quality of the material.
For any emergency or problems related to glass usage, several DIY websites can be accessed for a quick and affordable repair needs.